From all of your emails and comments on social media we know many of you are champing at the bit to go travel. And Europe is as always the most popular destination.
Here is our list of 12 of our favourite cycling adventure holidays in Europe.
1) Holland & Belgium - Amsterdam to Bruges Bike & Barge Experience the great cities of Holland and western Belgium on this classic barge and bike trip between Amsterdam and Bruges. En route visit Antwerp and Ghent whose historic centres will enchant you with their history and refined culture. Wind your way by bike along the Vecht river with its impressive mansions and country houses, visit a cheese farm and the 19 windmills in Kinderdijk. Via Dordrecht and the Kreekrak lock, the barge cruises through the 'delta' province of Zeeland to Belgium. Cycling with the group and guide or on your own with a set of maps and directions - the choice is yours. In the evenings, relax on board your comfortable barge or explore the towns on foot. Need more information? Email us and quote code UABR
2) France - Loire Valley Bike & Barge Cycling the quiet roads of the Loire Valley we encounter this region's rich history, culture and delightful scenery. Our itinerary takes in the highlights including the magnificent 12th century castle and gardens at Apremont, the ancient Roman town of La Charité-sur-Loire and the local market in Châtillon-Coligny. Enjoy the charm of the rolling landscape as you cycle tour along quiet country roads passing world famous vineyards and charming old towns where there is plenty of time set aside for discovering the cultural and consumable delights the region offers. By night retire to our private barge custom built for sailing on the French canals. The relaxed atmosphere aboard will make you feel at home quickly as will the comfortable cabins, all with private facilities. Need more information? Email us and quote code UBBB
3) France - Burgundy Bike and Barge Experience the beautiful countryside, the medieval villages, the vineyards and the meandering rivers of Northern Burgundy from the comfort of your well appointed barge. As you cycle each day you will soak up the beauty of the region, while sampling some of the best wines, cheeses, honey and ciders that Burgundy has to offer. En route you will visit wonders such as the gothic cathedral of Sens, the cities of Auxerre and Joigney, and local marketplaces. The cycling is an enjoyable combination of easy stretches along the Yonne river, and rewarding but challenging uphill sections complete with spectacular views. In the evenings, relax on board the barge or explore the towns on foot. Northern Burgundy is referred to as “The Land of Good Living” and by the end of this week long tour you’re sure to understand why. Need more information? Email us and quote code UBUT
4) Portugal - Porto to Lisbon Atlantic Ride Blessed with sun-kissed beaches, colourful and vibrant fishing villages and scenic routes, the Atlantic Coast of Portugal offers some fantastic cycling holiday opportunities. This tour starts in Porto, a UNESCO World Heritage city awarded best European City Destination in 2013, 2014, and again in 2017. The itinerary follows relatively easy flat or undulating cycling trails along the stunning coastline, with stops in different villages and towns for a full immersion in the relaxed Portuguese way of life. Highlights include a scenic ride through the dunes of the Sao Jacinto Natural Reserve and an overnight in the picture-perfect fortified village of Obidos. After a week of cycling and plenty of free time to enjoy some of the best beaches and restaurants of Portugal, a full day is dedicated to the visit of Lisbon, one of the most charming capital cities in the world.
Need more information? Email us and quote code EMEO
5) Central Europe - Prague to Budapest Ride Cycle through landscapes of four countries; the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia and Hungary. This trip combines peaceful country lanes with well-marked cycle paths, including sections along the Danube, to showcase the best of Central Europe. Our itinerary meanders past castles, through rustic villages, along rivers and past lakes as we discover the former territories of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Highlights include UNESCO sites, national parks and the famous wine-making region of Moravia. Exploring the gentle countryside, rural towns and historic capitals by bike is a great way to sample the changing atmosphere and individual flavours of each region. Need more information? Email us and quote code EMVZ
6) Central Europe - Cycle the Danube Retrace the steps of the Roman, Ottoman and Turk Empires on this adventure along the mighty Danube River. Journey through picturesque villages, forests and lush farmlands as you cycle from Vienna to Budapest, passing through Slovakia and it's cosmopolitan capital. Live it up in Baroque style at the elegant Schönbrunn Palace or get lost in the cobbled laneways of Komarom, a city with one foot in Hungary and the other in Slovakia. Visit the architectural jewel of the Danube River, the Esztergom Basilica, and pass by the imposing white-hued Bratislava Castle. Celebrate a day in the saddle with a luxurious soak in one of Budapest's iconic baths. Need more information? Email us and quote code IZMXD
7) Italy & Switzerland - Cycling the Italian and Swiss Lakes The Italian lakes of Como and Maggiore are famed for both their spectacular scenery and their well-heeled residents. The rich and famous clearly have good taste as the scenery here is simply wonderful with forested hills and medieval properties overlooking the glistening blue waters. This is a fascinating place to discover on two wheels with excellent roads that closely follow the winding shores. Amongst others, we visit the Hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso, a striking overhanging abbey built by a rich merchant. The Villa del Balbianello with its ornate Italian gardens may look familiar to film buffs, having featured in international movies such as Bond’s Casino Royale and Star Wars: Attack of the clones. There will be opportunities to taste plenty of delicious local produce en route, including cheese, cold meats, honey, wines and ice cream, before riding across the border to Lugano in Switzerland for a chocolate tasting. The excellent cycle rides will hopefully help you build up an appetite! Need more information? Email us and quote code EMEL
8) Italy - Cycling the Prosecco Hills Treviso, located just a short drive north of Venice in the foothills of the Dolomites, is thought to be the most cycled province in Italy thanks to the great variety of scenic roads and picturesque rolling hills. Many professional cyclists train on these routes and there are countless events, including the famous Giro d’Italia, taking place here each year. Added to this, this hilly land also happens to be the home of Italy’s most prized sparkling wine: Prosecco! For this exciting trip we have designed and hand-picked five circular and point-to-point routes to showcase the very best this wine-growing region has to offer. You will be pedalling on back country roads and through breathtaking vine-covered hills, extending as far as the eye can see, and passing through several fascinating historic towns along the way, including elegant Treviso, Bassano and mediaeval Asolo. At the end of each day your efforts will be rewarded by tasting the best of local gastronomy, obviously along with a crisp glass of delicious Prosecco! Need more information? Email us and quote code EMEP
9) Italy - Cycling in Sicily Sicily is not only the biggest island in the Mediterranean but also one of the most fascinating, thanks to the incredibly diverse heritage left here by past civilizations including the Phoenecians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Normans and Spanish. On this exciting cycling tour we explore the south-eastern part of the island, pedalling through the Baroque gems of Ragusa, Modica, Noto and other filming locations of the famous TV series Inspector Montalbano up to Syracuse, the ancient Greek capital. Along the route we enjoy picturesque landscapes made of farmlands, deep gorges and dramatic coastal scenery which showcase the great natural diversity of the region. No trip to Sicily is complete without sampling some of the finest regional delights considered amongst the best of the whole Italian gastronomy. Need more information? Email us and quote code EMWY
10) Croatia - Cycling the Dalmatian Coast Known to have the clearest waters in the Mediterranean and undoubtedly packed with historical and cultural interest, the Dalmatian Coast is one of the true wonders of Europe. We follow some of the best cycling routes the area has to offer with much of the tour taking place on the long and beautiful islands of Hvar and Korcula, travelling by ferry between the islands. The scenery alternates between seaside villages, tiny mediaeval towns and pretty pebble bays. We end our journey in the fascinating UNESCO city of Dubrovnik where we spend two nights soaking up the atmosphere of this uniquely preserved city. Need more information? Email us and quote code EMVJ
11) Cycle Romania Few places can match the beauty and mystery of Transylvania and the Carpathian Mountains. Rich with Saxon history and a landscape dotted with spectacular castles, churches and breathtaking views. Starting at the foot of the highest mountain range in Romania, our route takes us through fortified towns and hilltop citadels, past dense forests and across open fields where we meet shepherds as they watch over their sheep. With a final day to explore the fascinating capital city of Bucharest this trip will allow you to discover both the modern and traditional sides of Romania all from the seat of your bike. Need more information? Email us and quote code EMVF
12) Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania - Cycle the Baltics Diverse, richly historic and impossibly photogenic, the Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania have few rivals when it comes to cycling in Europe. This region offers up one fairytale-like scene after the next. Discover a charming cultural tapestry – from the medieval spires of Tallinn and the funky bars of Riga to the Baroque-styled quirks of Vilnius. Throw in some sand dunes, bird-filled forests, glittering lakes and world-class beaches and you might just have the perfect cycling destination. Need more information? Email us and quote code IBMXB